Who are you?
As a Senior DevOps Engineer you will work within the Thunderhead DevOps team focusing on hands-on development and delivery of solutions, and support to the Thunderhead software development organization. This role requires an engineer with at least five years’ experience, and very strong technical skills while requiring participation in architecture, integration and analysis activities.
Responsibilities of the role include:
- You will be expected to provide guidance and expertise on system options, risks and relative impacts, and cost-benefit comparison
- You can create and share operational requirements and development forecasts to allow for timely and accurate planning of projects
- You can install and configure solutions, implement reusable components, translate technical requirements, and perform script maintenance and updates
- You are comfortable building deployments through the use of configuration management technology
- You are a natural at deploying new modules, upgrades and complete fixes within the production environment; and you can perform all of these activities according to specific procedures while being able to write documentation of your own, to provide knowledge transfer to colleagues
- Routine application and stack maintenance tasks are an ongoing responsibility and you should be comfortable creating requirements and procedures for the implementation of such routine maintenance
- You have hands-on experience with any combination of the following: Docker, Swarm, Containers, Kubernetes
- You have very strong Linux shell skills, preferably with CentOS and Ubuntu (be a good Sysadmin).
- You are skilled with Git/Bitbucket
- You have experience with configuration management or automation tools such as: Ansible, Chef, Puppet, etc.
- Preferably you have hands-on experience with Azure, if you have experience with other cloud services that’s cool too
- You have a good grasp of basic networking concepts and technologies: Firewalls, DNS, routes, IP gateways, etc.
- Preferably you have familiarity with Cassandra or another NoSQL database
- You are self-motivated and passionate about your work and have the ability to get work done efficiently and with minimal guidance. You will be expected to hit Thunderhead’s lovely, old, antique hard-wood floor, running
- You are a personable team player because we are. We interact and collaborate at all times, under all sorts of circumstances and we will expect you to do the same. You should be professional in your approach to your work and interactions with the entire team at Thunderhead. This is a no jerk zone, so don’t be one
- You understand what it means to maintain a stable production environment and the impact that instability can have on our customers and business
- You are an excellent problem solver and have top-notch investigatory skills; dig-in, use google, be smart. Make good decisions; react quickly and solve problems
- You are flexible and able to work in an agile and fast-paced environment
- You intrinsically understand the importance of security and of keeping the customer’s data as safe as possible
- You are always monitoring our environments for issues and are always thinking ahead
Benefits and Perks
We will provide you with a series of challenging issues together with the tools, equipment and support to give you the best possible chance of succeeding.
To reward you for your hard work, we’ll provide you with a competitive salary, including an annual bonus. Based in our collaborative and vibrant Manchester, NH office, this an important role within our DevOps team. We also recognize that our colleagues deserve to be looked after outside the office, as well as on the job. In addition to joining a dynamic, friendly team, we provide a range of benefits including medical and dental insurance, 401k plan, and various company sponsored social outings.
As a rapidly growing company, we offer plenty of opportunities for career development – the majority of people in senior positions within the engineering department have been promoted internally.
If the job is of interest, please let us know by applying for this position and telling us a little about yourself.
This position is not eligible for immigration sponsorship.